Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Managing Volunteers by Amy Delamaide: Part Two

Picture courtesy of Sanberdoo
Organizations responsible for managing volunteers should think about the experience from the volunteer’s perspective. These are questions I have before volunteering for an event or organization for the first time:

  • Where should I go? At what time should I be there?
  • What will I be doing?
  • Who will give me instructions about what I am doing?
  • Who do I call if I can’t be there?
  • What information are event participants receiving? Will I have a copy of that same information?
  • What do I need to bring with me?
  • Will there be food and drink available if my shift is over a meal time?
  • What should I wear? Do I need to bring or have any special materials, clothing, or equipment?

Preparing a volunteer packet with the answers to these questions inside, along with the information that event participants receive, will help your organization have well-prepared volunteers who contribute to the success of your event.

What else does your organization do to prepare volunteers for service? We’re interested in your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment